I have been thinking about this idea for a while now...striated stacks, accretion formation, a recurrence of the chromaSpindle, a form that I have generated in the past. So, what is this spindle form, and why am I so obsessed?
A quick look at the wiki entry yielded my following favorites:
- Spindle apparatus, a cellular structure organizing and separating the chromosomes during cell division
- Sleep spindle, an EEG waveform that occurs during sleep
- Spindle neurons, a specific class of neurons that participate in signal transmission in the nervous system
- Spindle torus, in mathematics, a self-intersecting torus
And don't forget:
- Spindle (automobile), a part of a car's suspension system
- Spindle, a threaded rod connecting two door knobs
- Spindle, a holder for kitchen roll
I still don't have the answer, but I now know that this type of structure reoccurs throughout the physical world, and I find it fascinating.
So I thought documenting the process of this piece might be a very bloggy thing to do. I am still not sure of the work's final form. The spacing between spindles may change. I'm working on a video piece that I intend to project onto this and see how the forms will interact with the moving image. (Test trial today in the la bor atory) And, due to an accident in the studio that impaled one of the spindles with the leg of a ladder, I may be cutting and re-configuring the vertical forms.